AATF is an international not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public/private partnerships to enhance the food security and livelihoods of smallholder farmers in SSA.
AATF works with African governments, private and public technology owners and developers, NGOs, seed companies, and African smallholder farmers to identify and access technologies that address farmers’ key problems and empower them through the availability of a choice of agricultural innovations that generate wealth and health for their families and communities.
AATF is a registered charity under the laws of England and Wales and has host country status with the Governments of Kenya and Nigeria. The Foundation depends on the ongoing support and collaboration of different partners and investors to meet its objectives.
AATF wishes to recruit a suitably qualified Program Officer – Agronomy to be based in any of IAR Zaria, NAERLS Zaria, Kaduna State ADP, or Kano State ADP (to be decided) for a period of 2 years, renewable depending on performance and availability of funds. Under the matrix supervision of the AATF Product Stewardship Manager and PBR Cowpea Project Manager, the suitable candidate will also work in close collaboration with IITA, seed companies, and seed out-growers.
2. Functions / Key Results Expected
- Develop and implement best agronomic practices for both early generation seed (EGS) and certified seed production that include improved tillage, rotation, irrigation, fertilization, control of weeds, pests, and diseases, harvesting, cleaning, conditioning, seed treatment, and storage.
- Coordinate and document periodic agronomic training activities for seed producers (breeder, foundation and certified) across project countries and ensure that seed growers are adequately trained on all agronomic requirements for the cultivation of AATF’s transgenic products. Share training logs with AATF Stewardship Manager quarterly.
- Track, verify, document, and report seed growers’ complaints on AATF products for remedial actions to be taken. Ensure that every recorded complaint is followed up. Make a quarterly summary of complaints and remedial actions.
- Track, verify, document, and report any incidence related to AATF transgenic products at seed production levels. Follow up on all incidents by documenting the incident containment actions, root cause analyses (when relevant), communications and corrective actions. Report each incident related to the technology performance to the AATF Stewardship Unit.
- Conduct field visits and audits with seed growers and compile relevant compliance reports. In liaison with the Stewardship Manager, set the annual number of visits and audits and ensure that a representative audit distribution is planned across the country. Generate the individual and annual summary audit reports.
- Ensure timely engagement, foster transparency, and best agronomic practices among all relevant stakeholders involved in AATF transgenic seed production.
- A good understanding of agricultural biotechnology socio-political and regulatory environments in SSA.
- Ability to coordinate, manage and inspire a diverse group of skilled professionals to work as a team to deliver the project’s mandate efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Excellent high-level networking skills and ability to build and sustain relationships with key partners, especially high-level policymakers and economic elites with a vested interest in cowpea and maize value chains.
- Demonstrable high-level policy and grassroots advocacy and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully establish and manage field agronomic activities.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to plan and prioritize work activities to meet the project’s goals and objectives.
- Excellent technical report writing and presentation skills.
4. Recruitment Qualifications
|At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Agronomy or related discipline from a recognised University
|At least 5 years of relevant experience and sound knowledge in field agronomy and agricultural research and development with a reputed private or public sector entity, preferably in Africa.Sound knowledge and experience in irrigation agronomy for field crop production.Experience in seed production, seed processing and seed distribution. Quality Management Systems in seed production, knowledge of ISO is an added advantage.Good understanding of the SSA agricultural biotechnology socio-political and policy environments.
|Fluency in written and spoken English. A working knowledge of a 2nd language – French would be an added advantage
5. Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates are invited to send their applications on or before 2 December 2022 to aatf- email@example.com and clearly indicate on the email subject Program Officer -Agronomy. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
AATF is an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds and any other diversity groups to apply and become a part of our organization.