AATF is an international not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public/private partnerships to promote food security and enhance the livelihoods of smallholder farmers in SSA. AATF works with African governments, private and public technology owners and developers, NGOs, seed companies and African smallholder farmers to identify and access technologies that address farmers’ key problems and empower them through the availability of a choice of agricultural innovations that generate wealth and health for their families and communities.
AATF is a registered charity under the laws of England and Wales and has host country status with the Government of Kenya. The Foundation depends on the ongoing support and collaboration of different partners and investors to meet its objectives.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Finance and the TELA Project Manager, the Accountant provides support in execution of financial services of the TELA Project and other projects/institutional activities ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services.
The Accountant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with AATF rules and regulations. The Accountant will work in close collaboration primarily with the TELA Project Manager, and all other departments.
Functions/Key Results Expected
Administration and implementation of operational strategies
Ensures administration and implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with AATF rules, regulations, and policies on financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on Board and audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Full compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and other standards.
- Full compliance with Donors specific policies and guidelines in the financial recording/reporting system.
- AATF Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with management.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost savings in consultations with management. In liaison with the Head of Finance, support the preparation of project proposal budgets
- Ensure that all financial controls are in place in adherence to AATF’s financial & accounting policies & other relevant guidelines
Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system for TELA and other Projects
- Preparation of financial statements for management & donor.
- Undertake the control mechanism for TELA and other projects in consultation with the Project Managers, the Head of Finance and the Director of Corporate Services through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications for the specific project(s), budgetary status versus authorized spent limits, ensuring expenditures are aligned to approved budgets, accurately coded and posted in the system and that data on the system is of high integrity.
- Presentation of information for planning of financial resources of TELA and other projects and other institutional activities, prepare together with the Finance Team reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Preparing draft year-end financial reports for TELA and other projects.
- Develop and implement together with other team members a financial management and monitoring system for AATF sub-grants.
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Corporate Services Department focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare payments including disbursement of funds to partners in accordance with established procedures.
- Provide advances for travel, workshops & other related activities to staff, maintain records of outstanding advances & ensure timely accounting.
- Assist in reconciling control accounts, balance sheet accounts, creditor statements, personal / staff accounts. Undertake monthly bank reconciliations and take lead in the management of accounts payables.
- Timely processing, tracking and reconciliation of statutory payments including but not limited to employment taxes, VAT claims, VAT exemption applications, withholding tax payments and returns.
- Handle accounts’ related correspondences.
- Maintain proper filing system for Finance records & documents and take lead in the maintenance of the Unit’s shared filing systems
- Handling accounting queries & maintaining a good documentation system.
- Facilitate with other team members smooth execution of institutional audits through timely provision of audit schedules and responding to audit queries and findings.
- Contribute to the improvement of accounting and financial services & procedures in line with AATF guidelines.
Ensures proper AATF cash and asset management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Undertake organisation’s routine banking activities.
- Undertake monthly verification of assets and inventories
- Carry out other related duties as may be assigned by the management.
Key Skills & Competencies:
- Strong financial management and accounting skills and business acumen;
- Ability to work with different schedules and to meet stringent deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to develop proposal budgets, as well as write reports and prepare relevant write-ups / publications.
- Be attentive to detail, accuracy and have good organizational skills.
- Possess excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity.
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, database management, spreadsheets, accounting packages, virtual collaborations, email, internet, and the workflow process; and
- Ability to maintain high standards of integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships; treating individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences.
- Have Knowledge of the tax regimes of Sub-Saharan countries
|Education:||Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Commerce, Accounting, or other related subjects;|
|Experience:||CPA-K, ACCA etc. and member of a professional accounting body; |
Three (3) to five (5) years experience in finance;
Knowledge of financial requirements by major bilateral donors such as BMGF, USAID, DFID, AfDB, and EU Knowledge of accounting packages such as SUN System, SAGE, Pastel, QuickBooks etc; Thorough understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards and various regional statutory requirements and their application;
Ability to prepare final financial statements will be an added advantage; and
Knowledge of and ability to work with different financial controls, systems and regulations including taxation requirements, financial reporting requirements etc.
|Language Requirements:||Fluency in written and spoken English. A working knowledge of French would be an added advantage|
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates are invited to send their applications on or before 14 October 2021 to email@example.com and clearly indicate on the email subject – Accountant. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
AATF is an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds and any other diversity groups to apply and become a part of our organization.